Saturday, December 29, 2012

A guide to viewing uncomfortable art

When I was 18, I went to New York City with my high school's art program. When we went to the Guggenheim, I was disappointed. I was so excited to see what the main show case would be. I'd seen pictures of previous show cases and they looked so cool. When we arrived at the museum, I was under the impression that they were between shows. The main corridor, which is cylindrical, several stories high, and surrounded by a spiraling pathway, appeared to be completely void of any art. After walking up a few floors, I noticed a couple making out on the floor. I thought that was horribly rude and inappropriate. After walking for a while longer, I realized there was something odd about this couple. Not only were they both wearing completely gray, they were perfectly mirroring each other. I realized they were not actually making out, but dancers, and the exhibit. I was still disappointed.

I was disappointed because the exhibit made me feel uncomfortable, and not for any obvious reason. I could see no social criticism, no call to action, no eye-opening agenda. It appeared that the point of the exhibit was to show the juxtaposition of love and symmetry. This isn't new, it's not a call to action, it's not anything that I haven't seen before. I was not impressed.

One of the teachers saw me leaning against the railing, and came over to talk to me. He asked me why I looked so glum, and I told him my problem with the exhibit. I don't remember much of our conversation, but I do remember one thing he said to me. He said, "If you can't see past the sex, you're never going to be able to see the value."

I might remember that quote because it was the only thing he said that I didn't agree with at the time. I might remember it because it made sense to me in other aspects of art. I don't know because I don't remember anything else from that conversation.

I still don't agree with what he said in relation to that art exhibit; however, I have come to understand exactly what he means. I cannot look at that exhibit and see the value because I already know there's no call to arms and I've never liked seeing people make out. It makes me completely uncomfortable. (Note: My roommate put my opinion of this into a great statement: You can make out in front of people that you have birthed/raised. No one else.) However, there is a current and relevant piece of art that deserves this statement.

Les Miserables is a beautiful movie. The message is wonderful. It's an obvious call to arms. It's touching; it almost made me cry (I have only cried at one movie ever and no books). Many of the characters have uncomfortable moments.

Anne Hathaway's character, Fantine, is one of the most touching, inspirational characters. Just a brief overview for those of you who don't know who Fantine is. Fantine is a single mother that works in a factory owned by Jean Valjean. When the other women in the factory gang up on Fantine, the foreman fires her. Fantine's daughter, Cosette, is being housed at an inn, and Fantine needs money in order to keep her daughter safe from the streets. She sells what appears to be all her possessions, including her hair and some teeth. Eventually she becomes a prostitute.

In the movie that was just released, there is no sugar coating. Fantine's fall down to the lowest a woman (or man) can go is shown, not implied. It makes the viewer uncomfortable. I do not think it is over the top. In fact, I think this scene is genius. There is no nudity and no desire. There is crying, singing, and overwhelming emotion.

This scene could ruin an entire movie for people who cannot see past the sex. For those who can, it amplifies the message of Les Miserables. Les Miserables is a call to arms. It is a social critique. It may not be new, but it is timeless. While the novel by Victor Hugo is extremely long and very hard to get through, it is a story worth telling. No one can put it better than the preface of the novel:

    So long as there shall exist, by virtue of law and custom, decrees of damnation pronounced by society,    artificially creating hells amid the civilization of earth, and adding the element of human fate to divine destiny ... so long as social asphyxia is possible in any part of the world ... so long as ignorance and poverty exist on earth, books of the nature of Les Miserables cannot fail to be of use.

And that is the reason I am okay with every part of Les Miserables. It is a story that "cannot fail to be of use." 

Les Mis is just one example of looking past the uncomfortable feelings to find the true meaning. For some, it may not even be uncomfortable. Some people may not be able to look past the sex to find the meaning in a different way. Any way you look at it, you're missing a message if you get hung up on the way the message is given. Yes, some artists take it too far. And some people may be able to see the message, but the uncomfortable feelings are more powerful to them than the message. That is a personal decision and no one can judge you for it.

When it comes to art, no one should just blow it off because they are uncomfortable. Instead, everyone needs to think about why they are uncomfortable. Is it because something is being shown that shouldn't be, or is it because something is being brought to your attention that you should think about but don't want to?

2 comments: